Wednesday, September 5, 2007

YUMMY and CRUNCHY

I found this recipe...and it's likely the ONLY recipe you will ever get from me...in the diet book, Dr. Gott's No Flour, No Sugar Diet.

COCONUT PECAN GRANOLA

3/4 cup of Fruit Sweet
2 tablespoons butter
6 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup toasted pecan
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
OPTIONAL: may add raisins or other dried fruit

preheat oven to 325

Melt butter in large mixing bowl in microwave. Add Fruit Sweet, oats, pecans, coconut, vanilla, and salt. Mix until well combined. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil spray and spread mixture out on the pan in an even layer. Bake, stirring several times, about 25 minutes until mixture is light golden brown. Cool completely. Serve at room temperature. Can be stored in airtight container for several weeks. Makes about 8 cups or 16 servings.

You can add this to nonfat plain yogurt with sliced fresh fruit. It is also a quick breakfast cereal with skim milk, or just out of hand as a snack.

FYI: FRUIT SWEET is a liquid fruit sweetener, made from concentrated fruit juices.
It is a good substitute for sugar and honey in cooking, but is sweeter than sugar and has fewer calories per serving. This is just one brand name, and it can be found in the baking needs isles of supermarket or health food stores.

ENJOY!

5 comments:

Angela Baylis said...

Sounds delicious!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!
I want some right now!!!!!!

Love,
Angie xoxo

Tracey said...

sounds good minus the coconut!

Justabeachkat said...

Have you made it yet? Just wondering what you thought. I'll see what you think before I try it. :=)

Hugs!
Kat

Jean said...

That does sound good, especially with those toasted pecans. Yes, let us know how you like it. Sometime maybe I'll post my granola recipe.

Tonja said...

I haven't made it yet because I could not find UNsweetened coconut.
But, that's on my list to do today....after school and exercise!