Friday, September 7, 2007

WHAT WOULD YOU TAKE?

Imagine that you awoke at 3:00 AM one morning with the realization that your house was on fire. Let's say you had 5 minutes to gather the things that were most dear to you to save them from the fire. What would you take? Could you get to it easily? Would you have trouble finding it? What would you use to gather it in? Is there something too big to get out that you would regret losing? Let's say also that all people and pets are already safe, so you only have to think of what you want to save.......................................................................
...................................................................................
...................................................................................
I would grab a laundry basket and try to gather:
**as many pictures as I could...especially the portraits of my children at 3 years
**my scrapbooks that chronicle special people and events
**my Bible, all the other books could be replaced
**my box of love notes and little things my children drew when they were younger
**a box of treasures that belonged to my Mother-in-law
**my good jewelry
**my laptop
**necessary medications
**a painting that my husband loves
**OH! I would have to grab my glasses first or I couldn't see to get anything else

I would regret losing most the things I have collected from different parts of the world and the United States, my real zebra skin rug from Pop, my collection of sheep, my books, my wedding china, my collection of old wooden boxes and dough bowls,
my quilts and whatever pictures I couldn't save....

I would not be able to get my piano out, and I have an antique dry sink from my Mom that would be too big to get out, too.

What would you save?.........

3 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Great post!

As long as we are okay, including the pets, there's not much that would just have to go, but here's what comes to mind:

My purse and wallet for ID

My cellphone to make calls for help and to notify family and friends

My computer since it holds so many of my photos

Photo albums and several large boxes of loose photos

Our large family potrait

My good jewelry

Artwork

Thanks for making me think about this. I think it's important to have a plan. I just pray it's never needed!

Hugs!
Kat

Jean said...

I seriously made a list several years ago. I thought I had it in my little brown notebook (remember it??!!), but I'll be darned if I can find it in there tonight! I too would grab my purse and cell phone, my budget book, my computer (it holds all my pictures and many, many songs I have arranged), my photo albums from years past, my bags of church musicians' notebooks, and my Bible. I don't know....that's a lot of stuff to grab in five minutes.

Angela Baylis said...

This is such a scary thought!

Like you, I would need my glasses, first!

I'd want my laptop, too!

My purse! (LV...haha)

All of my pictures... I still need to get them on c.d. (I lost most of my recent ones when my computer crashed.)

Probably my jewelery, too.

Funny how most of the stuff we collect is just stuff! I'm really beginning to realize this as I get older (and more mature, hopefully!

Thanks for this post!
Love,
Angie xoxo