Saturday, May 24, 2008

PUT THERE TO STAY

One of the goals I have in working with children, is to teach them songs that they can call upon later in life. Now, you may think they will not remember, and they won't remember all of them, but, I have had several former students who are in high school or college now that can still sing to me the solos they did when they were in one of my programs, or that we did frequently in class.

Can you remember songs you learned when you were a child or a preschooler? There are several that I remember well. And I can recall almost every word. I am going to list some of them here. While this may not be terribly interesting to you, I do it here as a way to archive these in case, you know, I begin to forget, or start to lose my mind, or go suddenly stupid, as I have been accused of recently.

***WHO CAN MAKE A FLOWER?***
O who can make a 'flower?'
I'm sure I can't can you?
O, who can make a flower?
No one but God, it's true! (May substitute other things God made)

***SUNBEAM***
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam
To shine for Him each day.
In every way try to please Him
At home, at school. at play.

A sunbeam, a sunbeam
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam
I'll be a sunbeam for Him.

***HE OWNS THE CATTLE***
He owns the cattle on a thousand hills
The rocks in every mine.
He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills,
The stars and sun that shine.
Wonderful riches more than tongue can tell,
He is my Father so they're mine as well.
He owns the cattle on a thousand hills,
I know that He will care for me.

***LET THE SUNSHINE IN***
My mommy told me something
A little girl should know.
And it's all about the devil
And I learned to hate him so.
She says he causes trouble
When you let him in your room
And he'll never, ever leave you
If your heart is filled with gloom.
So let the sunshine in,
Face it with a grin.
Smilers never lose
And frowners never win.
So let the sunshine in
Face it with a grin.
Open up your heart and
Let the sun shine in.

***FAITH, HOPE, CHARITY***
Have faith, hope and charity
That's the way the Lord would surely be.
How do I know?
The Bible tells me so.
Do good to your enemies
That's the way the Lord would surely be.
How do I know?
The Bible tells me so.
Don't worry about tomorrow
Just be real good today.
The Lord is right beside you
And he'll guide you all the way.
So have faith, hope, and charity
That's the way the Lord would surely be.
How do I know?
The Bible tells me so.

***QUE SERA, SERA***
When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother what would I be?
Will I be handsome, will I be rich?
Here's what she said to me:
Que sera, sera
What ever will be...will be.
The future's not ours to see
Oue sera, sera.

As I have tried to remember ...these are the ones that come easily to my mind. I think they are probably some others, but these must have been my favorites...along with*** JESUS LOVES ME*** and*** JESUS LOVES THE LITTLE CHILDREN***, of course.

Now there is one I must include that I learned when I was in the Youth Choir at our church, probably in the 8th or 9th grade. This was an anthem, and I am not sure why all these words stay with me, but they are beautiful and I hope I never forget them!

***LO, I AM WITH YOU ALWAY***
Christ is with me all the way
If I walk with Him each day.
Willing is He to share my load
While I dwell in this abode.
When I'm troubled, tempted, tried,
Then my care to him, I confide.
And I hear His sweet voice say,
"Lo, I am with you alway,
Lo, I am with you alway."

Christ is all the love I need
And his voice my heart will heed.
None just like Him ever be
He no stranger is to me.
But a trusted friend and true.
My help in all I say and do.
Leading me in ways He trod
Christ the man, and Christ the God.

I know as soon as I post this, some other song will come to mind, if so, I'll add it later. What about you? What are some of the earliest songs that you remember singing?

3 comments:

windycorner said...

Hi Tonja,
Thanks for bringing back some sweet memories. Songs do seem to stick with us longer than anyhting else. I love Keep On The Sunny Side, Victory In Jesus, and Harvest Home.
Holley

nancygrayce said...

Oh, those songs do bring back memories! Open up your heart and let the sun shine in and my sister used to sing Que Sera, Sera ALL the time. It's funny how those little songs can bring back so much. :)

Justabeachkat said...

Do you remember:

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

Hugs!
Kat