Sunday, August 17, 2008

I GOT PUBLISHED !!!

On July 21, I received the following e-mail:

Hi Tonja,

I am writing to let you know that one of your photos has
been short-listed for inclusion in the fifth edition of our
Schmap Maui and Molokai Guide, to be published mid-August
2008.

What photo were they talking about? I love to take pictures and I would love to have the time to devote to learning more about photography. But, I certainly did not think any of my photos were worthy of publication. I was proud of how they turned out, but certainly no one else but my friends would. I mean, my son, Adam, is a professional photographer. And while I am positive he got his artistic talent from me...I have never thought of myself as a photographer of note. Anyway, I gave my permission for the photo to be considered. And... on August 13, this appeared in my e-mail...
Schmap Maui and Molokai Fifth Edition: Photo Inclusion

Hi Tonja,

I am delighted to let you know that your submitted photo
has been selected for inclusion in the newly released fifth
edition of our Schmap Maui and Molokai Guide.


Well, isn't that a hoot? I'm a published photographer! Ha! Now before you get any grand ideas that they chose this great photo evoking a Hawaiian beach and swaying palm trees or a beautiful, balmy sunset... Let me explain...

My 2 BFF and I took a trip to Hawaii...Maui in particular...last June. I knew it was going to be a trip of a lifetime and I planned to document everything so I could scrapbook it later. Then on the cold, winter days, I could pull out the scrapbook and relive that warm Hawaiian sunshine and the great time I had with Tina and Shirl.
One of the places we planned to visit...and eat at...was Mama's Fish House. It is a legend on Maui, and rightfully so. We got there early, and spent time walking around the lovely gardens, watched a wedding in progress, and soaked up the ambiance. As we were going in to wait for our reservation, I snapped a quick picture of the sign. And that is the photo they published!

Photo: Tonja Owens
Mama's Fish House
799 Poho Place
Maui and Molokai, HI 96779

Oh, well, so my claim to fame and my taste of the big time is kind of a let down....but, hey, I'll take it....at least I can say, "I've been published!" And, this is the biggest chuckle...it didn't even make the cut for my scrapbook! :)

This is the link to see it actually in the book!
_______________________________________________________________________________
Here are those swaying palm trees (actually in front of Mama's Fish House) and the balmy sunsets.


14 comments:

LivingTheLife said...

While all of your pics are worthy of being published...it is a hoot that they chose that one to feature...hmmmm! Not that it isn't great...but do you think they were hungry when they chose it???...I'm like you...I thought your palm trees and sunset were spectacular! Who knows about those artsy types...lol! I love the fact that you mentioned Adam most likely got his artistic talents from you...I feel the same way about my kids...my daughter the photographer and artist...and my son the chef. Hmmmm...I must have made a "mean" p&b sandwich when they were younger...Yes...I'm quite sure I did...probably even cut the crust off of it and made eyes out of raisins...Yea...me??...Right! Ummmm...NO! I don't spend that much time in the kitchen!

Are you going to run with this...new talent? I certainly hope so!! Isn't it awesome! I'm acutally very proud of you and for you! I hope to one day be published myself...and not for any of my antics!

Blessings...
T

Justabeachkat said...

What a "hoot"! I'm so proud to say I know a published photographer. Congratulations!

Happy Happy Birthday my sweet friend!

Hugs!
Kat

Jean said...

That IS a hoot!! See, probably lots of people have pictures of all the beauty and scenery, but only a blogger would have a picture of the name of a restaurant, ha, ha!!

Leah Belle said...

CONGRATS! WHAT A COOL THING! I like them all!

Robin said...

This is a fab story ! One to go in the record books. I am a scrapbooker and love to take pictures of signs also. Who would have thought it? Congrats !!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Now we can all say "We knew her when!" I love the other pictures you posted - you do have a great eye.

Kat wished you a happy birthday - is that today? Happy happy!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Happy Birthday Tonja B-friend!

Unknown said...

Hi Tonja,

I came over from Kat's to wish you a Happy Birthday! It's my granddaughter's birthday today too. Congrats on your photo. I love your header photo. I hope you have a wonderful day!

andi said...

I Love the sunset pics!!!!! HAPPY B-DAY!!! Can't believe you are published!!! I knew you had it in ya! ;0) Don't forget to check the side porch!
LOVE YOU!
Andi

Paula V said...

the sunsets and palm trees look like postcards they are so beautiful. why in the world did they want the sign of the restaurant. i'm guessing they are publishing toursim attractions.

gorgeous pics.

Mindy said...

Congrats on being published! Interesting choice on their part, I agree, lol.

I dream of someday visiting Hawaii...such a beautiful place!

Deedra said...

Congratulations! How cool is that?!

nancygrayce said...

Congratulations! I'm proud to be your blog friend! Those sunset pictures were so good that I'm surprised they haven't been published somewhere!

nancygrayce said...

Oh, my gosh, I forgot to say Happy Birthday!!!!! I hope it was a great day!