Saturday, December 12, 2009

IT IS PAST TIME FOR OUTSIDE DECOR !

I have bemoaned to you, my friends, how hard it has been to get motivated to decorate for Christmas this year. I have been working on the inside, but nothing outside. However, while in Birmingham yesterday, I picked up some stuff to get the job done. And, that has been my goal today. I am happy to report to you that it has been finished and all is in place. So, here's how I spent the day...

I found these wonderful ceramic pots at Home Goods for $7.99 each. I debated purchasing them for a while and put them back...then went back and got them. Glad I did! They are a gingerbread colored brown, with a cream colored snowflake...beautifully glazed.


A quick stop by Jo-Ann's, where all the Christmas was 60% off. I bought 6 cream colored poinsettia bushes, some excelsior, and foam. Remember the pots, the snowflakes are the same color as the poinsettia! The plan was coming together!


Sometimes excelsior is easier to work with than moss. And, not as messy!


I had bought a large square of foam, intending to split it, and 2 foam balls. Cutting the block apart, to stuff in the bottom thus elevating the ball. Hot glued the ball to the block. Some scraps of the foam were used to wedge the ball tighter into the pot.

Then the excelsior is hot glued onto the ball and tucked down into the pot. One down, one to go.

I cut apart the bushes. The stems are much easier for me to work with than a whole bush. I also plan to add some twigs. Let me tell you about the twigs. Several years ago, I found these bushes of small twigs. They are covered wire, so it is easy to bend them and use them in many ways. Let me just say this. And, I am NOT a floral designer, or even a floral worker, BUT...these twigs are the best things...in the FLORAL WORLD...that I have ever bought. I use them over and over, in almost every arrangement I do, and in every season. I have 4 bushes of these, but I cut 2 of them apart. If you ever run across something similar, they are wonderful to have in your work room! I think I paid about $3.00 a bush.


And, here is the finished product, already on the front porch, in the plants stands. I like the way they look.


One on either side...ready for the wreath in the middle.

And, here is the wreath, bought at Hobby Lobby for 1/2 off. However, to go with the cream poinsettias...it needs something! What do you think? I think I'm going to use the leftover poinsettias to add to the wreath...and maybe some white berries.

I bought this wonderful tin bag at Hobby Lobby, and could hardly wait to fill it with some foliage. The is is now filled with the remainder of the twigs I told you about, and some stems that I bought for another project! Doesn't it look festive!

And, keeping close watch over all the creative activity taking place in the kitchen, is Bella, the shopping angel. She approved! And, was very impressed with my creative endeavors today!

3 comments:

RachelD said...

Me, too, Sweetpea, though I neither shop nor . . .

I love your creativity, especially that you can see several things in several places, and they come together in your mind as a whole.

Just wonderful.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You did an awesome job!

nancygrayce said...

Wow, you are very creative.....I need one of those shopping angels!