Monday, November 2, 2009

TURKEY TALK

Because my Mom always cooked a Butterball Turkey, so did I. Every year for as long as I can remember, I have been the one assigned the task of cooking the Thanksgiving or Christmas Turkey. Maybe she and Joy just figured that I couldn't mess it up too bad. And, I never did. I became quite adept at fixing up that ole bird. Mom would always call me the night before to be sure I had not forgotten to put it in the oven. I heard all the old ways of getting him ready to cook...like putting it in a paper bag and turning off the oven...never tried that, though. Same said thaw, some said don't. I did. I usually just put it in a large roasting pan and basted often...and in later years, I began to use the large cooking bags. Don even bought a huge cooker and we deep fried it one year. I really didn't like that. Tasted more like chicken! I would cook it and Don would slice it for eating. We pulled out our electric knife one time a year or twice...just for the turkey. Probably the only consistently used wedding gift that I received back in 1972.

HOWEVER, I now know a better way. I was telling my aunts about this when we visited recently in NC, and they had never heard of these. But, this Not Very Good Cook is here to tell you...this is fabulous! I found these at W*l=M*rt several years ago,and now I will not buy anything else. It is just as easy as the ad says it is. Open the package, put it in a pan, put it in the oven, figure out the time it will take to cook, take it out, have hubby slice it, and rake in the compliments! Really, it is the moistest turkey I have ever cooked. I can promise you will not be disappointed if you give this a try. I have since found it at other grocery stores so I am sure you can find it easily. There are several seasonings available also. Even the packaging you carry it home from the store in has a handy carry handle. And, just one more tip: if you purchase one of those big disposable roasting pans to cook it in...you can throw the whole thing away after lunch! Easy-Peasy!



FROM THE BAG and WEBSITE:
Oven Ready Home Style Whole Turkey Oven Ready™ turkey from Jennie-O Turkey Store is the only whole turkey that goes directly from your freezer to your oven with no thawing, no cleaning—and no worries.


Premium turkey, fresh-frozen and ready to cook
Goes directly from freezer to oven - no thawing
No handling of the raw turkey, no preparation - turkey is already cleaned and seasoned
Comes sealed in our Fool-Proof™ cooking bag with pop-up timer for moist, tender turkey every time
Preseasoned with a Home style flavor
Comes with a delicious, simple to prepare home style gravy packet.


For additional info, you can go to their website listed here:
http://www.jennieo.com/products/OvenReady/OvenReadyHomeStyleWholeTurkey.aspx

PS...I know you are going to thank me, so "You're Welcome!"

7 comments:

Gram said...

I have seen these in the store, but have never tried them. I always buy the one our store has on sale for $5.00 if you buy $50 worth of groceries - usually a Jennie-O and use a cooking bag.

The phone call from your mom the night before reminded me of the first year I cooked the turkey. I am the baby of the family - the afterthought - my sisters are 21 and 22 years older than I am. So the first Thanksgiving I hosted the dinner my eldest sister came to my house early in the morning to help. I didn't think too much of it because it is in her character to do such a thing. I was telling a friend the story and she said I bet they were afraid you would mess the dinner up. As I thought about it I'm sure there were telephone conversations about helping the "baby" out, lets make sure the "baby" doesn't mess this up.

Sorry for the long comment, your post just awakened a memory from long ago.

Jewel said...

You have me sooo sooo ready for Thanksgiving!!!

Paula V said...

That's a grand idea. And, it doesn't look like it's too big. I could make this for me and have gobs of leftovers. I don't recall seeing it in W*lmart. The freestanding freezer crates, I'm guessing.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I have never seen them. Sounds really easy. I don't mind doing turkey, I always use the throw away pan. Hey, I have two electric knives from our marriage in '72!
We always use them for the big dinners. Thanks for the information.

Jean said...

Wow! I never heard of them either. We had quite a fiasco with deep frying our turkey last year, so I doubt we'll be trying it again this year.

My electric knife wore out. I kept it plugged in and ready to use for YEARS. I used it for slicing almost everything.

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh wow!!! That might be something to try - - - but I don't know if I want to give up the aroma of the onions and celery frying when I make the stuffing.

One day I'll give it a shot - - -

Justabeachkat said...

Hi sweet friend! Life is gradually getting back to "normal" for me so I'm hoping to be able to visit more often.

Thanks for letting us in on this secret. I've never seen or heard of them, but I'll be on the lookout now.

Hugs!
Kat