Thursday, January 15, 2009

SINGING THROUGH THE PAIN







Does anyone remember this song? It was the song to a regular spot on the old TV show HEE HAW. The fact that I remember the words after all these years must say something about my life. Here goes:

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep dark depression...excessive misery.
If it weren't for bad luck
I'd have no luck at all.
Gloom, despair, and agony on me."

Yep, those are the words and believe it or not...it was a comedy skit!

Someone who lives in my house with me and is 2 years older than I, has been complaining that there were still boxes in the garage. And, that person was right. However, I have been going through them a few at a time and sorting and putting things away. Obviously, not fast enough! Anyway, I tried to just move one of the boxes into the storage room to get them out of his line of sight. Bad decision...very bad. I knew immediately that I had messed up. My back screamed at me,"Why did you do that? Don't you know better? I'll show you how I feel about you lifting that box!" And, so the pain began. And it has not stopped. For two days now, I've been taking muscle relaxers, and pain meds...but so far...it's no better.

I was hoping to go to Birmingham this afternoon with Ian. He is having some quite serious sinus surgery in the morning. But, instead of taking care of him...I am flat on my back.

So, if you have a little space at the end of your prayer list...please add me and Ian. My son, my back and I thank you very much.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. A bad back is no fun at all - been there, done that - a lot!

You and Ian will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Justabeachkat said...

Hi sweet friend

Gosh, I'm so sorry about your back. Isn't it amazing how we just plug along and then something happens right out of the blue and suddenly we're in trouble. Do you have a massage therapist you like. They can work wonders sometimes. We have one that I promise you is as close to a doctor as possible. She knows her stuff. (Her husband actually is a doctor.) I wish you could make the two hour trip here to see her. I've stopped and prayed for you and Ian. Take care of yourself.

Hugs!
Kat

Jean said...

Oh, Tonja, I am so sorry this happened!! Do keep on taking the anti-inflammatory pain meds and muscle relaxers. Sometimes they have a cumulative effect and eventually start making a difference. I too just prayed for you, for Ian, for Alex, for Scooter - I know your family needs you, and it's so hard to be unable to be there for them.

Sherrie said...

Tonja,

So sorry your back is hurting. I have missed you! Hope all went well with Ian's surgery and praying that you both will be healed up very soon!!!

LivingTheLife said...

Sweetie...I'm putting you and Ian at the top of my prayer list...not at the end...but I'll say an extra one for you at the end, too!

I know how painful back pain is...and I'm so sorry you weren't able to make the trip with Ian...hubbin will just have to try to do his best Tonja impression...and with all our love and prayers being sent up...I know all will go well!

Please rest, take it easy, stay on the meds...and don't listen to hubbin anymore...and DON'T pick up any more boxes! I wish I was there to help you! Seriously, I may have to hop a flight and head out there and help you finish up...oh! who am I kidding we would NEVER get finished...between our story telling and giggling, we would never finish up...but it sure would be fun!

Blessings...
Teresa

nancygrayce said...

Oh, bless your heart! I agree with the massage therapy......helps me every time!

I'll be praying for you and Ian! You got to get better! Springs right around the corner....you know how busy that will be.

He Knows My Name said...

Got this too late but will pray all will heal well (for you both)..

ever find the underwear box? :)

just wondering.