Sunday, January 4, 2009

IT DOESN"T TAKE MUCH....


Every time we return to the former house, we find dirty clothes! So, my new washer and dryer have been getting a real work out! It is one of these new front loading kinds, and so far, it seems to be working well. I never seem to see any water in the clothes, however...so I'm not sure what it uses!

Today, Adam came by and visited with Alex for a while, then I heard him call me from the other room. "Mom, have you watched this washing machine work?" he said. As a matter of fact, I had not. I just throw my clothes in and leave...believing it will do what it says it will do! But, I got up and went into the laundry room. There, sitting on a step stool right in front of the washing machine, sat my 33 year old son. Head in hands, he was watching the washer as it went through the cycles. I laughed and asked him if he knew how he looked sitting there in front of a washing machine fascinated by its operation. He laughed and said that he had just never seen one like this before. Then he began to tell me the things he had observed sitting there...and I found my self getting pulled into this show in the laundry room. Yes, I pulled me up a stool, too, and together we sat there amazed at how this thing was cleaning with so little water! It turns one way and stops and then turns the other. He discovered that the timer that sets at the beginning of the load, does not just count down. It adds minutes sometimes, too. Why do you suppose it does this? Do you think it senses the clothes are not clean enough? And how does it know this? I suppose it must be like those electric blankets that 'sense' when you are warm enough and then turns itself down. That kind of thing just rattles my chain. I know when I am warm enough and I think I know when my clothes are clean enough. Or maybe I just always thought they were.

Oh, well, this is waaaaay more thought than I ever wanted to be giving laundry today. But, the point of this post is not what the new washer and dryer can do. It cleans and dries clothes...that is enough for me to know. But, this boy of mine...the one who is most like me...has my temperament...and my eye for the unusual. (Yes, there are some 'not so great' qualities he got from me, too...but, let's just not think about that. M'K?) He took the time today to sit and marvel at the intricate working of a machine. Something about that fascinated him. Something about the workings of it intrigued him. And, I am proud as can be to say that he took the time to sit right there and marvel at it for a little while. Don't we all get so caught up in our busy-ness that we have little time left for WONDER? Do we just let it all pass us by, and accept that it is something new...but, forget to marvel at the minds of men and women who continually reinvent the products we use?
Do we think we will seem 'childish' if we express that wonder?

Well, Adam, never, never, NEVER lose the sense of wonder! It will keep your mind alive...it will make your soul sing...and it will bring a smile to your face. Thanks for reminding me of that today.
*******************************************************************************
EDITED TO ADD: My sweet DIL just told me that this washer 'knows' that the soap is not out of the clothes and that is why it adds more time. Maybe I am using too much detergent. Thanks, Suze!

6 comments:

Robin said...

What a precious post..These grown children never cease to amaze us. We are truly blessed by them, even if they are like us !

Jean said...

I just love your mother's heart, Tonja.

Sharon said...

It's great that he was this fascinated in this, as they grow they do become more curious with things that you and I will not find fascinating any more. I remember when I was that age I was curious with the same, I use to hold the button in make my finger really sore just so i could watch the washer work, but today no I just throw it in add the soap/softner close the lid and thats it, I expect it to be done and clean in 30 minutes.
hahaha
Good post
Be Blessed today

nancygrayce said...

Love the washer and dryer. I wanted a front loader but the boss said no. Maybe next time...I seem to wear them out fast with the never ending cycle of wash.

LivingTheLife said...

My daughter and SIL also have that type of washer/dryer...they LOVE it! Now, I'm not sure if they have ever sat and watched the thing work...but it is in there basement...in the new "man" room fully equipped with a garage sale couch, dart board, card table and such...so they do have a place to sit...if they ever get the notion to watch.

That is the sweetest story...I can just envision you sitting there on a stool beside Adam...watching the magic of those wonderful machines...just happen. Isn't it wonderful how some of the best times of our lives...result from the simpliest of things. You are a great mom to take time and enjoy that with him...and he's definately his mothers son...and a true artist, too...I think that's why he found it fascinating...it also shows me that he has curiousity and patience...something most of us can't say we have both of!

Keep making memories...sweet lady...and thanks for thinking of us to share them with. I love your stories.

Blessings...
Teresa

Angela Baylis said...

I admire you for stopping everything and watching with him! Times like these are SO special. Thanks for the reminder to stop being too busy to notice the little things. You are a great mom!
Love you,
Angie xoxo