Sunday, July 13, 2008

"JUST HAVE FAITH"

Has anyone ever said this to you? "Just have faith." Well, it has been said to me many times and I confess I have said it to others also. I posted about a wonderful book in the comments of a dear friend's blog today, and I just felt that maybe I should share this with all of you.

I have faith in God. I believe in God. I trust Jesus, and have accepted Him as my personal Savior and Redeemer. I believe God is who He says He is, and I believe He has my life in His hands. I believe I will live with Him in Heaven one day. But, all this being said...it is sometimes hard to have faith. There I said it. It is not always easy for me to remember all the things I know and believe. But, having faith is not about the way I feel. It is a matter of trusting God to do what He says He will do...regardless of how I feel. It is choosing to believe God's promises over my personal feelings.

I recommended this book to my friend, and I would like for you to know about it as well. This is one of those life changing books...and I consider it to be one of the most important books in my Christian life. Now, there is nothing controversial in it at all. It will not challenge what you believe. Nor will it cause you to doubt your convictions. But, it will help you to realize that His Word is truer than anything we may be feeling at the moment.

The book is titled FAITH IS NOT A FEELING. Sub-titled: Choosing To Take God At His Word. The author is Ney Bailey. It is published by Waterbrook Press, a division of Random House...copywright 2002. I purchased my copy from Lifeway Bookstore several years ago. I have not seen it there in a while, but I do know they will order it for you. It is available on Amazon.com for $13.99...I just checked. If you put the title and author in the search bar at the top on Amazon, it will take you right to it.

I have personally dealt with many things in my life where the outcome has looked bleak and trusting was not always easy. One of the things I pray for is that my faith will remain strong. I never want to doubt what I believe. And I know satan would like nothing better. A Christian song that I can not remember title or author has some words in it that resonate with me often."...give us faith to be strong and strength to be faithful...". We are fighting a battle with the enemy daily, and I want my faith to be strong and unwavering. This book has helped me to see that it can be...even if I don't feel like it is. Let's be real, friends, we would all like for others to think we have that most perfect relationship with God that never doubts or never gets hard. We would like others to think we can quote the Bible verse for verse and always be able to recall a verse to go with each situation. Well, I am here to say to you...I can't. It is hard for me sometimes. And there are times I can only recall the feeling of a verse and a few words of it. I know I am a sinner saved by the grace of God, but my walk with Him is not perfect...and at times, I falter. But, I know He loves me and is ready to help me be the person He created me to be.

I think you will enjoy reading this book. It starts off with a disaster the author went through, and goes on to explain what I feel are great truths. If you choose to read this, please let me know what you think. God bless you.

8 comments:

Jean said...

Thanks, Tonja. I think I need that book. You are such a blessing to me.

andi said...

I am so thankful for that post, I am in a bit of a spiritual dry point...I know He is there, waiting for me patiently. For some reason I am holding Him at an arms length. This has encouraged my soul. I will check out the book and give you a report of what I think. Thanks T-jator. :)

Anonymous said...

With all the medical problems you have encountered with your sons, especially Alex, for you to say you have faith means so much. I think if I were in your shoes, I would probably have given up a long time ago.

You are an inspiration - you make me continue to believe and have faith. Thank you Tonja.

LivingTheLife said...

Amen...sista...thanks for being so REAL! And thanks for recommending the book...I will hunt it down...and after reading it...I will pass that knowledge on...just as you have!

We all have our dry patches in life...Andi, hit the nail on the head when she mentioned "spiritual dry point"...WOW! I think everyone of us out here can relate to that...I know I can...isn't it great that we have one another out here...to encourage each other!!
Again, thanks for the recommendation. You truly are an inspiration in many ways to many of us...thanks for being real and for encouraging us, daily!

Blessings...
Teresa

Paula V said...

Thanks for being real. Thanks for being you. You are not alone in this. I'm sure there is not one Christian who doesn't suffer from unbelief and doubt. When I say unbelief I do not mean in Christ but in God fulfilling His Word in our life. Sometimes, we can feel that syndrome of "not in my life" you know the feeling of He does that "for others but not me." We or least I can sometimes wonder why others are spiritually satisified, getting their place in ministry, have joy and fulfillment in their relationships, etc. etc.

I was thinking, I should write down this title of this book so I can purchase it one day once my to read list decreases. But then I don't know where to write it. Maybe I should just buy it and then I will have to make sure it's on my to read list.

Thanks, Tonja.
Paula

nancygrayce said...

If faith were a feeling, I'd be in big trouble buddy! My feelings can change in the blink of an eye....which is why I'm so grateful for our Lord who NEVER changes!

Justabeachkat said...

I'm adding this to my library list. If they don't have it at our branch, then I can request it from another branch. If not, I'll order it. Thanks.

Hugs!
Kat

windycorner said...

Such a wonderful, heartfelt post Tonja. Thanks for a willingness to be vulnerable and sharing something all of us can identify with. We all have our "thorn in the flesh" but are reassured by God's Word that His grace is available to all who believe.
muchos hugs,
Holley