Wednesday, February 11, 2009

HANG IT ON THE WALL

FINALLY...I got Don to hang some art on my walls. My dear husband is a perfectionist...and very OCD about some things. Hanging pictures is one of them. 3 pieces of art on the walls...6 hours spent. Not even kidding. He measures and measures and measures....then writes it down and measures again. Then he begins mapping out the placement on the walls and checks it out from every angle. Proceeds to measure again, then and only then do we mark it with a pencil. Deciding which type of hanger to use takes another half hour, as you must weight the benefits of each and decide which will leave the smallest hole in his new, fabulously painted wall. His current fav is the Monkey Hook...and we have a supply of those ready and waiting! According to him, we do not need to put ANYTHING on the walls. It has only taken a month and a half to bring him around to my way of thinking. ANYWAY...
below is a window cover from the same temple in Mongolia that the doors used for my table came from. This is over 300 years old. I love the simple graphic lines of it against the wall. (The wall is a pale green...not grey like it looks).


I balanced precariously on a stool, holding the camera over my head to get this next picture for you. This is at the top.


I got a little bored and went to the computer for a while...big mistake. He hung the clock without my input. Too high! But, he won't agree to lower it, because of the hole . This may be a project I have to work in while he is away. There IS a way to cover up that hole and make another one...I just know it. And, I'll find it, too.



This is the one that took 3 hours. But to be fair, he did have to hang the light above it, too.


I hung this quilt from Hawaii in my back foyer. It took less than 10 minutes. It is straight, you cannot see the nails. I'm just saying...



Ian came to help him with my beautiful distressed mirror. They worked on it for over an hour. There is not a way to hang it that they can figure out. It weighs over 100 pounds and they are afraid the wall won't support it or something like that. I'm gonna have to find someone who knows a little more about it. Bummer! Oh, that is a towel at the top...put there by DH to keep the wall clean.

You can't see me in my pajamas, in the mirror, can you? Good! 'Cause THAT is NOT a pretty picture!

11 comments:

Debbie said...

I love your pieces. That mirror is to die for. Congratulations on getting some of them up. Enjoy. Debbie

Love Being A Nonny said...

He IS OCD....a towel between the mirror and the wall...........hmm......!

Love that he is particular...mine is too...but for us *Just get it done* people, it is MADDENING!!

Darby said...

Tonja... LOVE the MIRROR! It's FABULOUS! Maybe a glass company can help you figure out how to hang it! I love what I can see of your house... I'd love a tour of the kitchen and the rest of it!! :)

LivingTheLife said...

Uhhh...Tonja...big news...WE are married to the SAME man! lol...my lovin hubbin' is exactly the same...and I already knew that was a towel at the top of the mirror and why it was there...CRAZY!!

Love your goodies on the wall...and yes, that clock can be moved...it's called "spackle" and if it is done right...no one will EVER know.

blessings...
Teresa

andi said...

ben tapes thumb tacks to the back of a picture, then gently places it on the wall at the place of my liking and then gently pushes it, leaving marks. Then he does the nailing. He is genius.
I L.O.V.E. the quilt! Good hanging! I agree the clock is a wee bit high, but we're short. I have used toothpaste for such occasions, which is probably why Ben uses thumb tacks now. :)
Everything looks GREAT! Might want to call Hester stain glass. They might have an idea for hanging of the elephant, I mean mirror.

Jayna said...

I thought you were talking about my husband and the OCD! We absolutely cannot move anything that has been placed on the wall! I asked why toothpaste and paint wouldn't fix the holes, but my hubby didn't think that was funny! Mom and I will come help you hang things while you know who is out! :)

Jean said...

I love all your pictures too, but I love your way of telling about hanging them even more. I giggled the whole way through this post.

Mindy said...

LOL...I wish my hubby was that careful about hanging things. He hammers in a nail, slaps it up on the wall, leaves me to straighten and level it and goes back to whatever he was doing before. I usually end up hanging stuff by myself, lol. The mirror is totaly cool by the way.

Jill said...

First, the mirror needs a ledger board. You put the ledger into the wall and then the mirror into the ledger. We make large custom mirrors here in my shop so maybe I can help you out with the ledger details...if you want, let me know. And, since I work in an art gallery with hundred of pieces of art hanging, you'd think I'd be an expert at hanging, but I'm not. I eye it, pound a nail, and if it doesn't work out I eye it again and pound another nail. I re-did a grouping on one of our living room walls (while hubby was out of town) and I swear there are 25 nail holes or more.

Mindy said...

I added a fun poll to my blog, where readers can predict whether our baby is a girl or a boy. Come on by and vote!

RachelD said...

I LOVE that you're getting all settled in and gathering your things about you.

When we first looked at this house, I noted that they had taken care to putty-over the nail holes from previous art and amenities. The light fixtures were another matter entirely---every one in the house was a flat pane of glass recessed into the ceiling with a little metal edge--BORING and plain, like a science lab.

When we had our first party, we invited the people we bought the house from, and the lady looked around and said, "Well, it's not to my taste, but if YOU like it."

Kinda ruffled my feathers, but then I learned that all the nothing of the place, the no-show lights, etc., were because anything on a wall, a tabletop, ANYTHING visible other than furniture and carpet, made her nervous. There hadn't BEEN any nail holes.

So here's to ART and hanging it exactly where you WANT!!!