Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Today was a work day for me. I am so blessed to have the perfect job. My chosen profession was nursing, but at the time I was in nursing school, I also took private music lessons at Samford University. Add that to my 12 years of piano and I have quite a few hours racked up in music education. After several years in the nursing field, I quit to raise my children. I had all intentions of returning, but, dear friends, our intentions are made of dust. God's plans are written in stone. More later on what filled my days and years until I began working at First Presbyterian Preschool 17 years ago. Wow! Has it really been that long? I have the best boss and fellow teachers possible. It is a joy and a gift from God to work in a Christian setting. The ladies I work with are like family. We laugh together, cry together, and pray together. We really do 'bear one another's burdens.' And the children...what can I say? A child is such a precious thing. Pure innocence and love...along with a healthy dose of curiosity and stubborness. What a joy it is to be around those so fresh from God. I teach music...so I have an advantage of being able to work with all the students in the school. And mostly we have fun. Singing and dancing and pretending...such fun! Of course we do 2 programs a year, so we have to do some hard work...learning parts, and standing still, and not waving on stage. When these little ones , who are so full of love run up and hug me, I feel as if God himself is saying,"You're doing o.k." I have learned much from the children. Life lessons, really. You've heard the saying: "Sing like no one is listening and dance like noone is watching." Well, one of the first things I learned on this journey is the kids do not care how well I sing, they only care that I do sing. As far as the dancing goes, well, I find that if I let go of my inhibitions...they usually let go of theirs. And you know what...I usually have as much fun as they do. Why is it that as we age we become so careful to stick to the narrow path? Maybe we all need to find that childlike freedom to just be. Sing as loud as we want and dance how we feel. "God is happy when we sing praises to him."Psalms 149:3,4. And I want God to be pleased with the things I do.

No comments: